Apprehensive about your job prospects? Involved you gained’t be capable to get a graduate job? Mother and father nagging you about your future plans? In that case, perhaps some constructive information concerning the UK graduate labour market would possibly shock you and elevate your spirits. It’s way more constructive than you would possibly assume.
Three latest surveys, counting on analysis and information relatively than media messaging every shed a constructive mild on many sections of the UK graduate labour market. The Institute for Pupil Employers (ISE) just lately surveyed its members earlier this month. 177 employers participated. ISE members are liable for very lots of the graduate degree jobs within the UK.
- ISE members report graduate vacancies are up 20% on pre-pandemic ranges. 2022 vacancies are set to extend by an extra 22%.
- It’s at the moment a purchaser’s market. The numbers of finalists and graduates making use of for jobs has dropped. Nearly half of these recruiters surveyed are discovering it exhausting to draw sufficient candidates. Some candidates are reneging on affords, suggesting they’ve had a couple of job provide.
- Not being on campus and never with the ability to provide in-person internships has impacted recruiters’ skill to draw candidates. The dearth of visibility could have contributed to the notion by college students that fewer graduate jobs can be found.
The annual Excessive Fliers 2022 survey into the graduate labour market represents the Occasions High 100 recruiters. A lot of their findings echo these of the ISE. It’s price noting that their members report:
- Accounting & skilled companies corporations are anticipated to be the biggest recruiters of recent graduates in 2022, with a report 7,400 entry-level vacancies obtainable for university-leavers.
- For the primary time in eight years, graduate beginning salaries on the UK’s main graduate employers are set to extend in 2022, to a brand new median beginning wage of £32,000.
- Warwick stays within the high 10 Universities focused by Excessive Flier recruiters (6th this 12 months)
- Now that the majority Coronavirus restrictions have been lifted, nearly three-quarters of the UK’s high graduate employers are planning to ship in-person trip work placements and internships this summer season, although some placements and taster programmes are anticipated to stay on-line. That is excellent news for these of you who’ve been lacking out on in-person work expertise.
Prospect’s Charlie Ball, labour market specialist (and Warwick alumnus) who publishes a fortnightly UK labour market replace additionally echoes the findings of the ISE and Excessive Fliers. Charlie stories:
- Strong demand for workers and candidate shortage drove up charges of beginning pay for each everlasting and momentary workers firstly of the 12 months.
- Employment intentions stay constructive throughout the board however are notably excessive in info and communication, healthcare and enterprise companies
- Employers have responded to recruitment challenges by elevating pay (48%) and promoting extra jobs as versatile (46%).
- Nearly half of employers have hard-to-fill vacancies. These are most typical in healthcare public administration and different public sector.
Vacancies on Warwick’s MyAdvantage database as of 21st February:
Grad jobs 675, work expertise 191 and UK Internships 181
My recommendation subsequently:
- If you’re a Finalist who’s harassed by the very point out of getting a job – at this level within the 12 months you possibly can select to depart making use of till after your exams. 1-1 careers help continues for you as a Graduate for two years after you end uni
- The recruitment cycle for bigger corporations will begin once more this summer season with recruitment and choice going down throughout autumn and early subsequent spring with a begin date of subsequent summer season so you should have a 12 months to fill in the event you anticipate the following cycle and will probably be competing with subsequent 12 months’s finalists. Smaller organisations will promote on a ‘want to rent’ foundation so recruitment will probably be all-year spherical
- If you’re a finalist eager to get a job however had assumed it could be difficult if not inconceivable – assume once more. There are jobs and you’ll apply now
- If you’re a penultimate 12 months pupil searching for in-person internships, do examine MyAdvantage for alternatives in addition to recruiter webpages and LinkedIn. See additionally our useful work expertise pages
- Digital alternatives to be taught concerning the world of labor can be found by means of our companions Vivid Community and Forage
- Bear in mind – any work expertise will add worth to your CV. That features volunteering, so try Warwick Volunteers and Unitemps for half time jobs
- You don’t want a profession concept to come back and begin a dialog about profession planning! E book appointments by means of MyAdvantage and see how we might help you.
My ultimate message: You gained’t get jobs you don’t apply for.